- Author biographies are not necessary, although information about the author is important, as it provides your credentials.
- Provide a photo.
- Provide descriptive titles to your posts.
- Link text should provide the reader with information conerening the link's destination.
- Bring your best posts to the front page.
- Provide navigation in addition to the calendar, e.g., categories.
- Publish on a regular schedule.
- The more focused your blog, the more likely you will have a loyal following.
- Don't forget that your blog will be available in perpetuity -- your future boss may be reading it.
- Use a domain name of your own, not one from the blogging service you use.
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Usability and Blogs by Nielsen
Jakob Nielsen's October 17th Alertbox is on Weblog Usability: The Top Ten Design Mistakes. Many of his ideas are based on his prior work with web site usability, but some are particular to blogs: