- Content management systems are a popular way to manage web sites.
- The most popular library web pages include events calendars, basic library information, database gateways, and children's/teen pages.
- The size of the library web staff is very small and most have other responsibilities. Most libraries use subject specialists to edit web pages.
- Libraries try to provide unique content, e.g., interactive storytelling, educational games, librarian book reviews.
- The children's/teen areas of the library web site has been a place for creative web development.
- Digitization of special collections via the library web site is in the planning stages and should become more prevalent.
- Many public libraries redesign their web sites every three years.
Monday, October 10, 2005
Nine Library Webmasters Surveyed
Primary Research Group surveyed webmasters at nine well-known public libraries (one in Texas -- Houston Public). Based on these libraries, they have drawn the following conclusions: