Friday, June 24, 2005

Innovative Incorporates RSS Feeds

Innovative Interfaces will incorporate RSS feeds into its upcoming 2006LE Millenium release, due out fourth quarter of 2005. According to their press release, there are two major changes coming:
  • Librarians will be able to insert any RSS feed into any location within the Web OPAC screens. You should be able to decide how many headlines to display and whether to include the description or date.
  • Secondly, you should be able to create an RSS feed from any staff Boolean search of the catalog.
Both of these are great and I think many III libraries will begin using them as soon as they are available. What I don't see is the ability for a patron to create an RSS feed and subscribe to it. I might be wrong, but I didn't see that, as a patron, I could create a search and then capture the RSS feed. Maybe this is in the future? [I couldn't figure out a way to reference III's press release. They all seem to be javascript functions, so there isn't a URL attached to them. If you go to their Press Release section, you'll find it -- Innovative Announces New RSS Capabilities for Millennium.] [from RSS Compendium]

No comments: