- VoIP is free.
- The only difference between VoIP and regular telephony is the price.
- Quality of service isn't an issue nowadays, because there's plenty of bandwidth in the network.
- VoIP can't replace regular telephony, because it still can't guarantee quality of service.
- VoIP is just another data application.
- VoIP isn't secure.
- A phone is a phone is a phone.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Seven Myths about Voice over IP
IEEE Spectrum Online has an article about Voice over IP specifically being used for telephone calls. Steven Cherry provides a very solid overview (as you would expect from this journal) and then discusses the following 7 myths about VoIP: