Friday, March 11, 2005

Netscape 8 Beta

Netscape version 8 is now out in beta. Although I won't be downloading it soon (I like to keep my system stable while I'm working on specific projects), it looks very interesting. If you've been using Firefox 1.0, then you will see some familiar functionality.
  • Tabbed browsing
  • Site controls -- you can set very specific security settings per site
  • MultiBar -- a single toolbar which allows you one-click access to up to ten user-customizable toolbars
  • Ability to remember passwords and form information
It's great that this functionality is moving to Netscape, however the most interesting thing is that you can choose a rendering engine for specific pages. This goes against every grain in my body because I think that standards-based web pages should be viewable/understandable in any browser, but practically it isn't true. Within the Site Controls section, you can choose to view a specific site using the Netscape or Internet Explorer rendering engine.

No comments: