Monday, January 31, 2005

SBC To Acquire AT&T

Interesting . . . SBC has plans to acquire AT&T. Some of you may remember the divestiture of AT&T, which spun off the "Baby Bells," including Southwestern Bell. Now, the parent company of Southwestern Bell -- SBC -- is purchasing AT&T. AT&T brings its IP-based and VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) networks, as well as its large corporate customers and AT&T Labs. SBC, on the other hand, brings a strong regional presence, including millions of phone and DSL lines. CNET.com has a good write-up on this. You can also find details on the SBC web site. An aside -- AT&T Wireless was sold earlier to Cingular. SBC owns 60% of Cingular and BellSouth owns the other 40%.

No comments: