Tuesday, January 25, 2005

2005 Technology Predictions

I don't know about you, but I've seen many articles predicting how technology will change over the next year. After a while, I just tune them out. Walt Crawford, however, has pulled together a number of them in his Midwinter issue of Cites and Insights (pages 1-6). Some of the interesting predictions I saw include: * Patrons wanting to use Flash and USB drives on public access workstations. * Worms will spread to handheld devices like PDAs and cell phones. * Support of CD burning on public access workstations so patrons can download large files. * Libraries should incorporate instant messaging (IM) into communication with patrons. * Wireless access should be offered at the library. * Use blogs and RSS to enhance communication to your constituency. * Open access will continue to find its niche. There are many others in this article. These are just a few I saw that might be immediately relevant.

1 comment:

waltc said...

Thanks for the mention--and special thanks for noting that these are other people's predictions; I just pulled them together (and occasionally commented).